.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

A Faerie's Farthing

Flitting through the internets looking for sparkly bits. All content mine and not to be reproduced without permission.

Name:
Location: All Material Copyrighted, United States

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Senator John McCain, Übertool

Senator John McCain, Übertool

Campaigning for shrubya after being viciously smeared in the 2000 primary apparently wasn't enough; recently allowing his anti-torture bill to essentially be gutted hardly made a blip. Now that McCain is shedding any lest vestiges of rationality, I hope we can all finally agree that he is NOT a moderate. On live television this afternoon, he apparently criticized President Carter's address, even though he hadn't seen it himself.

This follows closely on the heels of his outburst at Senator Obama, who decided not to join his bi-partisan committee on lobbying reform. McCain took it a might too personal and neglected to count to ten before writing Obama:
Dear Senator Obama:

I would like to apologize to you for assuming that your private assurances to me regarding your desire to cooperate in our efforts to negotiate bipartisan lobbying reform legislation were sincere.

...Thank you for disabusing me of such notions with your letter to me dated February 2, 2006, which explained your decision to withdraw from our bipartisan discussions. I'm embarrassed to admit that after all these years in politics I failed to interpret your previous assurances as typical rhetorical gloss routinely used in politics to make self-interested partisan posturing appear more noble. Again, sorry for the confusion, but please be assured I won't make the same mistake again.


It stands in stark contrast to Obama's gentlemanly response:

As you will recall, I told everyone present at the meeting that my caucus insisted that the consideration of any ethics reform proposal go through the regular committee process. You didn't indicate any opposition to this position at the time, and I wrote the letter to reiterate this point, as well as the fact that I thought S. 2180 should be the basis for a bipartisan solution.

I confess that I have no idea what has prompted your response. But let me assure you that I am not interested in typical partisan rhetoric or posturing. The fact that you have now questioned my sincerity and my desire to put aside politics for the public interest is regrettable but does not in any way diminish my deep respect for you nor my willingness to find a bipartisan solution to this problem.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama
United States Senator


Not surprisingly, Chris Matthews took McCain's side, lamenting the way Obama had treated him.

MATTHEWS: Well, let's take a look at it, because I think the people will learn a lot from this about -- I know you're being nice now -- but the way in which Obama treated you.

...MATTHEWS: Well, more here: "I concluded your professed concern for the public interest was genuine and admirable. Thank you for disabusing me of such notions." You're saying to the guy, I thought you were a gentleman and a civil servant, and now you're obviously not. [Laughter]

Of course, he's an Übertool, too. I guess McCain has finally decided "it's politics" after all.



Tags: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home